POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Asking for suggestions... : Re: Asking for suggestions... Server Time
5 Aug 2024 08:22:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Asking for suggestions...
From: Slime
Date: 21 Oct 2002 15:48:51
Message: <3db45a23@news.povray.org>
> Maybe we should collaborate. I want to completely redo the noise
> generator syntax, and dump the existing noise_generator code entirely
> (it is too hard to make additions and extensions).

Hmm, I like some of these things you propose, and I don't like some of them.

You seem to want to bypass the noise_generator keyword altogether.
Personally, I think that it's a good idea to keep it as a middleman. Here's
what I have working right now:

#declare mynoisegen = noise_generator {
 3
 match_second_derivatives off
}

#declare mynoisegenfunc = function {
 noise_generator{mynoisegen}
}

sphere {
0,1
pigment {
function {mynoisegenfunc(x,y,z)}
}
}

Notice how noise generators are an object that can be declared like any
other, and passed as macro parameters, etc. On a related note, anyone
interested in making fun of me may want to read my last night's blog entry
about the implementation of this ( http://www.slimeland.com/ ).

> seed SEED
> For creating generators with different seeds.

Well, the way the noise generator code works now, the random values are
predetermined when POV-Ray starts up. This makes things a lot faster than if
they were being calculated on the fly: they're merely pulled out of an
array. So I don't think specifying an alternate seed is really a good
option... unless perhaps it were done via a command line parameter or
something...

Anyway, to be honest, my patch was originally just going to be a couple of
bugfixes so that I could do something that POV-Ray's limitations were
preventing me from doing. Now that I've fixed the bugs and made a couple
workarounds, I'm anxious to finish the patch and get back to regular POVing.
Maybe you'll want to download my source code when I release it.

 - Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]